A few days ago, we talked about steps that we are planning to take to make a cheap weekly meal plan. Cole and I struggle with grocery shopping, and our grocery bills are often absurdly high, so this is an important way for us to cut our spending. Our plan is to give y’all a weekly update. This update will include what we got, how much we spent, and how we’re planning to use it.
Our first week is a bit of an oddball. Because of Christmas, we didn’t make it to the store until Tuesday. We’re also going to be out of town Friday night and most of the day on Saturday, so we probably won’t be eating at home on those days. Because of the amount of food we got, I’m actually thinking that this week’s grocery run will mostly last us through next weekend. We may have to pick up a few things, but for the most part we should be covered.
With that being said, this post will cover dinner from Wednesday, December 27, 2016 through Saturday, December 7. We won’t be counting dinner for Friday or Saturday. This list will therefore feed us for 9 days.
So, what did we get this week? I have a list!
From Winn Dixie:
- 1 can Hunts traditional pasta sauce, $1.00
- 2 jars Skippy peanut butter, $3.59 (BOGO free)
- 1 box Winn Dixie oatmeal, $1.70 ($0.80 off)
- 5 Pepsi brand 2-liters, $5.00 (10 for $10.00)
- 2 bags Dixie Crystals sugar, $3.79 (BOGO free)
- 1 packet Hidden Valley dry ranch seasoning, $2.00
- 2 loaves Nature’s Own wheat bread, $3.49 (BOGO free)
- 1 pack boneless pork chops, $4.83 ($3.99/lb)
- 2 bags Winn Dixie boneless skinless chicken tenderloins, $12.99 (BOGO free)
- 1 gallon whole milk, $2.99
- 4 blocks Philadelphia cream cheese, $5.38 (BOGO free, $0.75 coupon)
- 2 bags shredded Kraft cheese, $3.25 (BOGO free, $0.75 coupon)
- 1 package Winn Dixie salted butter ($0.79 off)
- 1 6-pack carton large eggs, $0.99
- 1 5-lb ground beef, $10.35
Total Savings: $43.20
If you recall from our last post, our goal was to keep our weekly grocery bill around $60.00. I think we hit the nail on the head, especially considering that we expect this to feed us for a week and a half! With that in mind, let’s check out our menu! We’ve also included how long these meals should feed us.
- Spaghetti, 2 days
- Pork chops, 1 day
- “Crack” chicken, 2 days
- Pan-fried chicken, 1 days
- Cheeseburger bombs, 2 days
- PB&J sandwiches, 1 day
We’ll be posting week two next week, so keep a lookout! In the meantime, let us know if our tips and tricks have helped you save money. Good luck!